Try to treat any stains as soon as possible as dry stains are much trickier to remove.
You can treat any stains with cool water on the spot if you are outside with only your drinking water available. By chance if you can get your hands on neutral detergent or delicate detergent for silk, you can do the following:
- Gently blot the marked spot(s) with a paper towel or clean cotton wool to remove as much of the stain as possible.
- Test the detergent on a part of the garment that's hidden or concealed to test if there is no adverse reaction;
- Apply a small portion of the detergent on the soft part of your finger and rub on and around the stain spot(s) gently;
- Be gentle when spot treating silk, as rubbing one spot too much can lighten the fabric; and
- Allow the detergent to sit in for around 15 minutes before hand washing the entire garment.
If any discoloration occurs in step 2, please stop and bring the item to a local dry cleaner to have it professionally cleaned.